Verse by Verse Through the Book of Proverbs – a series of 49 messages.
We are pleased to present Pastor Art Kohl’s Verse by Verse Commentary on the Book of Proverbs. Using the King James Bible as taught during a series of Midweek Bible study services in 2004. This is the second time Pastor Kohl has taught through the Book of Proverbs, back in 1999 he taught to the church in Sunday School. For the first 6 years of Pastor and Mrs Kohl’s marriage they read out together one chapter of Proverbs everyday. Pastor Kohl strongly teaches that the Book of Proverbs answers most of life’s issues and that reading, studying, and obeying it will keep one from many problems.
“The Principle Thing”
“Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.”
What Is Wisdom?
- Knowledge is facts. Understanding is when you know how to use the facts. Wisdom is when you apply understanding appropriately in your life experiences.
- Wisdom is the fear of the Lord, Job 28:28.
- Wisdom is purity, James 3:17.
- Wisdom is being led in peace, not in doubts, James 3:17.
- Wisdom is a gentle disposition, James 3:17.
- Wisdom is easy to be intreated. It is easy to ask for and to comply with, James 1:5; 3:17.
- Wisdom is a merciful disposition, James 3:17.
- Wisdom is a fruitful life, James 3:17.
- Wisdom does not have respect of persons, prejudice, racism or hatred, James 3:17.
- Wisdom always avoids hypocrisy. Be a good testimony.
23 Characteristics Of The Wise From Proverbs:
- Hears and obeys parents (1:5; 23:24).
- Increases knowledge (1:5; 12:15).
- Profits by examples (6:6).
- Profits by rebukes (9:8; 15:31).
- Increases wisdom (9:9).
- Is diligent in business (10:5).
- Welcomes commandments (10:8).
- Lays up knowledge (10:14).
- Controls lips, tongue (10:10; 17:28).
- Rules well (11:29).
- Is a success in soul-winning (11:30).
- Loves company of wise men (13:20).
- Builds for the future (14:1).
- Departs from evil (14:16).
- Utters knowledge rightly (15:2,7).
- Makes parents happy (23:15).
- Seeks knowledge (18:15).
- Lives in soberness (20:1).
- Solves problems of men (21:22).
- Increases strength (24:5).
- Keeps the law (28:7).
- Turns away from contention (29:8).
- Controls self in strife (29:11).